Saturday 16 December 2023

Some Career + Dating Advice :)

I obviously have nothing against ECE majors or folks who like developing software for interesting applications :). But I think everyone needs some sage advice once in a while :). This post will likely serve that purpose - it might also have some sound dating advice for those who might be interested :).

hashta
During my PhD program I ran into this girl at a party who seemed interesting and we started talking about this and that:

At some point, I mentioned that I got my B. tech. in Civil Engineering.
hashtagCivil Engineering.

The effect was remarkable 😂! She literally screwed up her cheeks, a look of great disinterest crossed her face, and went: "Civvillll...? Why would you study that?"

hashtag
Dating Advice 1: Never let such moments shake you up.

I simply spoke the truth: "Environmental Engineering fascinates me and Civil Engineering is a gateway to that".
hashtag
hashtag
And while it took some more years for Global Warming, Climate Change, etc. to become buzzwords, the importance of Environmental Engineering has always been apparent.
hashtag , hashtag

hashtag
So her face relaxes again and we continue talking. If I'd bought into this "branch hierarchy" nonsense, I would've neither respected environmental engineering nor been able to stay poised during this conversation.

Turns out she was an ECE major: all the way: BS, MS, PhD. I think she also found it interesting that during my B. Tech. I got hooked on to airplanes and changed my field to Aerospace Engineering.
hashtag
.
hashtag
Control Systems is an area common to ECE and Aerospace Engineering and we chit-chatted about that for while.
hashtag

We ran into each other a couple more times at get-togethers before we started hanging out to see if we would hit it off as a couple.

Dating Advice 2: Pay close attention to how your value systems match. That becomes very important in the long run.

I've always drifted towards books and music stores (my books, CDs, records and guitars add up to about the same value as everything else put together in my apartment) - and she was into expensive gadgets. I would not think of buying a car more expensive than say a Maruti Swift - she aspired for a Mercedes. And so on...
hashtag

hashtag
Dating Advice 3: Part ways amicably when you know that you're going to clash irreversibly. And you know when you know.

So I did that.

I think she eventually ended up marrying someone who now writes code for one of these food delivery apps. They're rich enough, alright. And that's fine - if that's what they want, then they can have it.

I'm still into Environmental Engineering, Climate Change, Supersonic Aerodynamics, Fluid Turbulence, Biofluid Mechanics, Physics, Math, Literature, History and Philosophy. I still own a phone that gets me by without burning holes in my pockets. And I have my eyes set on yet another guitar 😅!
hashtag

hashtaghashta
This is important. Stay cool. Stay comfortable in your skin. Live your life exactly the way you want to. Be patient - the right partner will come along, someone with whom life will become more zestful, more enjoyable, a bigger celebration.

Get it :)?

No comments:

Post a Comment