Wednesday 13 December 2023

How Indigo Made The Indian Skies Unsafe

Here's a wiki article on the IndiGo Airlines story: IndiGo - Wikipedia

On the face of it, their tremendously rapid growth might seem like a success story. But here's a sentence from Paragraph 2 under the History heading that's turning out to be prophetic: "In December 2011, the DGCA expressed reservations that the rapid expansion could impact passenger safety.[22]"


There have been 23 emergency landings within the last three years. That's just too many to be comfortable. I believe one of the big reasons is the sudden increased pressure on pilot training, ground staff and rapid turnaround times that we didn't systematically build to support.

The article also reveals that the airline that has had to make the most emergency landings is, no surprises there, Indigo!

I think we fliers need to be more vigilant about safety and give priority to airlines that have the best track record.

I'm personally vigilant about this topic now and keep myself up to date. In particular, I'm starting to pull away from IndiGo. Despite an explicit DGCA warning they expanded at a rate that I believe has made air travel unsafe. I feel this is deeply irresponsible.

Note 1: If you search, you'll find more articles on safety concerns with airlines in India.

Note 2: I think the same phenomenon is also happening with our railways. They're speeding up too fast without addressing safety concerns systematically. This is not "development". This is irresponsibility.

No comments:

Post a Comment