Tuesday 19 December 2023

Engineering Education With Reduced Physics?

When Richard Feynman delivered his famous Lectures on Physics at Caltech (1961-63), they were for a two year Physics course that was compulsory for ALL Science & Technology majors (including Biology! and of course all branches of Engineering!).

Although I'm unaware of Caltech's present day curriculum, I'm sure they still have something similar in place.

And there's university after university in India today that cuts corners in Physics. I'm even aware of Computer Scientists and Electrical Engineers coming out of some institutes without a SINGLE compulsory Physics course, and Mechanical Engineering HoDs asking why students in their departments need coursework in Modern Physics! These things, to me, are simply incomprehensible!

Let's just assume that Richard Feynman and Caltech know what they're doing and correct course, shall we?

Note: As I often remark when talking about Prof. Feynman, although I love his personality as well as expositions of physics, I'm far more philosophically inclined towards Prof. Erwin Schrodinger and gladly recommend the book "Erwin Schrodinger and the Quantum Revolution" by John Gribbin.

No comments:

Post a Comment