Thursday 28 December 2023

Mata Amritanandamayi: A Gentle Caution

I don't think its wise to speak too negatively against a spiritual master (Guru) without due cause as it can disturb faiths.

Yet, giving a gentle caution when one steps away from a person or group himself is perhaps not too bad an idea as this can hopefully help folks stay a bit more alert when making a decision on committing to a spiritual path.

Hence this post:

I used to be affiliated with Mata Amritanandamayi. I have lived at her Ashram in Kerala on two occasions: 1) August - December 2006, 2) April - September 2012. During my stay in 2006, I also taught a class at their university's Amritapuri Campus.

I decided to eventually step away some years ago for the following reason:

Several people in the organization / Ashram conduct themselves in a manner that is anything but spiritually evolved. They can be callous and can take steps that hurt you deeply. I guess to a certain extent this can be expected in any group of people. But beyond a point it can leave emotional scars. Once I sensed this limit was being reached, I walked away (its necessary to have the courage to do so).

Also, since I hold a spiritual leader / Guru completely responsible for how people in his/her Ashram / organization conduct themselves, I walked away not just from the Ashram and organization but from Mata Amritanandamayi herself (again, I believe its necessary to have the courage to do so when you are convinced that a person or place is not right for you).

A Guru - Shishya relationship is considered the most sacred relationship in the world in our culture. So accepting someone as your Guru has to be a very carefully thought through decision as its a really long term commitment :). But even then, sometimes it can become clear after a while that someone is not right for you. At such a time, although its hurtful, its important to be able to fold your hands, say a sincere thank you for all the knowledge received, and walk away.

I wish everyone the very best in all aspects of their lives: material as well as spiritual.

Note: Although not directly, this post might hold some academic relevance as well since it talks about a religious organization that also operates universities. (You can also read "Holy Hell: A Memoir of Faith, Devotion and Pure Madness" by Gail Tredwell.)

No comments:

Post a Comment