Wednesday 22 December 2021

Negotiating Differences In Opinion

Let's say me and you differ in opinion on something. Here are a few ways in which this can find expression:

1) I come to your house and keep harping on my opinion while not listening to you or giving you the space to have an alternate opinion.

2) I express my opinion once or twice. I also listen to you. And if at the end of our discussion we continue to differ, then so be it. We agree to disagree and our friendship stays unaffected.

3) I simply post my opinion as a blog and/or a post on facebook and/or a tweet in twitter etc.. You can read it, you may not read it, you may agree, you may disagree, you may respond, you may not respond : all of this is entirely your choice. I don't impose myself on you at all. I simply put up a post expressing myself.

Question 1: Where would you draw the line?

Question 2: How many people do you know who can't distinguish among the options above?

Question 3: How many times has it happened that you couldn't distinguish between the options above and ended up doing something that either hurt the other person, or hurt your friendship, or both?

There are 7.9 billion people on Earth today. 7.9 billion! Belonging to different cultures, different ethnicities, different religions. Just imagine the sheer number of possibilities of different thoughts and opinions on anything under the Sun 😄! Gotta learn how to negotiate differences in opinion and coexist peacefully as long as it doesn't come to anyone's basic human rights being violated.

No comments:

Post a Comment