Saturday 25 December 2021

Know Yourself. Be Yourself. Express Yourself.

Don't keep responding to the world. Know yourself, be yourself, express yourself.

To give a very simple example: Consider the following situation: My neighbor happens to be a total champ in solving the rubik's cube and crossword puzzles. I hold no interest in either : for me it's music, writing and good books.

So say he comes by one afternoon and just throws a challenge: Hey, So you are a Math prof and all, must mean you are sharp in logic and analyzing things.

I would probably say: Well, I guess I'm alright at it. I get by.

Say he then throws me a challenge: So how about figuring out the rubik's cube. That ought to be a challenge you enjoy!

Now there could be two ways in which I take this:

1) Once in a while I allow myself a lazy afternoon. One such afternoon I could pick up a rubik's cube and try to understand it. Just for fun.

2) I take up the challenge and spend the time necessary to become good at it, go to my neighbor's house and show him what I could do.

Now I can do (2) : but the time required might be a fair bit - and this time would get drawn from music practice, writing and reading.

Personally, I would choose (1) because I'm clear about what *I* want to do. I feel absolutely no need or desire to prove anything to anyone.

Observe that I have absolute freedom of choice and I am making it consciously based on what *I* want to do.

Time is a very scarce and limited entity :). This life you are going through : each moment gone is actually gone :). There's no dress rehearsal. It's actually happening. Now. Live :).

Be clear about what you want to do and just go about doing it. And when the world seeks your attention and prods you this way and the other : respond consciously, with due thought, and a fair bit of caution :).

No comments:

Post a Comment