Saturday 25 December 2021

Obesity: Some Blunt Remarks!

There might be some medical situations that lead to putting on weight (and difficult to shed it). I've heard thyroid imbalance is one such situation. Women also hold on to some extra weight after child birth for a year or so. That's quite normal.

But in the absence of such situations, it is every human being's responsibility to maintain a good fitness level. Medical concerns aside, unfit is also unattractive.

I'm blunt about these things in general because I believe it's better to pinch someone into activity than to humor / mollycoddle them and allow them to continue with lifestyles that are no good.

If you're overweight without due reason: it's entirely your responsibility that you are so. And yes, it's making you unattractive. There is absolutely nothing to be gained by concocting "love philosophies" that make people feel obligated to stay attracted to you, and feel guilty for losing the attraction. They are being just normal. It's *you* who needs to change and lose that extra weight. Sorry for the bluntness, but that's just how it really is.

Are there challenges in watching one's weight and maintaining good fitness levels?

You bet! Many of us have work profiles that involve a whole lot of sitting.

I face this challenge myself. But those who know me know that I keep finding ways to fight it. During the Covid / Omicron pandemic, I've made more of an indoor effort: brisk walking twice a day for half an hour and some Yoga. Folks in my neighborhood have been seen rope skipping. Different things work for different people - each to his/her own. But it is important to adopt some strategy to stay fit and implement it honestly.

When the Covid / Omicron pandemic subsides: If there are sports facilities nearby, you'll find me on a squash / badminton court or the football field. I often walk / cycle to work and back (helps me keep the calories burning and saves fossil fuel alongside). I ditch the elevator for the stairs more often than students (Ha!).

Most importantly, I do not bullshit myself.

The minute I see myself putting on kilograms, I take responsibility, go over what I'm eating, the amount of exercise I'm getting, and make changes. I never, ever, put the onus on others to "accept me as I am" when I know that I'm not in good shape.

This honesty has saved me a million times. It will serve you well too. Just be honest with yourself and do what it takes to improve. That's all there is to it.

PS-1: In case my bluntness offended you :), trust me, I mean well, and want the best for you :)!

PS-2: Lack of fitness can cause severe medical conditions such as diabetes, hypertension and heart problems. Your knees and hips will also suffer from the additional weight they carry. Invest some time every day in your fitness and see the quality of your life improve.

No comments:

Post a Comment