Sunday 21 November 2021

When You Need Help: Ask :)!

One personality trait that can help keep you away from lots of unnecessary trouble in life is simply this:

If you feel you need help with something, do not hesitate to ask.

Of course, this is different from schmoozing (look up the meaning) or expecting that others will just do things for you without you having to make any effort.

And of course, when you seek help, do so from those you trust.

This much is understood.

But I see people who don't ask for help because they feel that would make their weakness visible to others. This is not ok. Asking for help when you need it is as much a part of friendship and a sense of belonging with others as is giving help to others when needed.

This goes along with accepting a weakness in ourselves when we spot it. Coming through school: Maths and Physics came easy to me, Organic Chemistry gave me nightmares. So what? I used to grapple with it myself as far as I could, but when I hit walls (there were several of them), I very coolly bugged teachers and friends with my doubts.

Likewise with sports : I'm pretty alright with dribbling a football, but I suck with long kicks. So whenever I can, I seek advice and help from those better than me.

Can extend this to other aspects of life as well: You are going through an emotionally difficult time : talk to a friend whose judgment / advice you would trust and try to sort your thoughts out. If that doesn't help, seek a good counselor. You find yourself in a financial crunch due to some medical emergency, sudden loss of money due to some reason, etc. : see if some friends can help. In turn you be ready to help others when needed. (Of course, be honest about how you use such help - don't blow up others' money on unnecessary expenditure - this is understood.)

No point making "ego issues" about things. Just accept yourself exactly as you are right now, take the steps that are necessary to improve, and whenever there is an authentic need : seek help from friends and folks you trust. This is the quickest and most effective way to being the best you can be.

No comments:

Post a Comment