Wednesday 10 November 2021

The Myth Of "They Are Better"

This is my 99th blog post. None of the previous ones have made any attempts to "showcase myself" in any manner. I'm fairly secure in my life and career and feel no need to request any spotlight on myself.

This post is no different. Although it outlines some academic success on my part, it is being put up in all humility to simply make a point that I believe needs making. I personally don't enjoy putting up such material on the web and have no desire to "show off" in any manner. If anything, I'm experiencing a bit of discomfort doing this.

A few years ago, during a discussion regarding whether we should open up permanent posts in our academic institutes to foreigners, someone favored the idea with the statement: "They are better.".

Now if someone is academically strong, genuinely likes and respects this country and its people, and does not have "1st world superiority strands" in their DNA - I would welcome them with open arms. I'm all for academically and culturally vibrant institutes. But we have to bear in mind that a statement like "foreigners are better" reflects a servile mindset that owes its roots to foreigners who ruled this country and treated people here with disdain for around two centuries. We cannot allow this mindset to persist, much less prevail. So if we are face to face with a foreigner who considers himself or herself superior to us in any manner, we have to have the confidence to simply say: Thank you but no thank you. We're doing just fine ourselves and wish you happiness and contentment wherever you are.

Life has been kind in giving me opportunities to personally defy such notions. The first photograph below gives an idea of how commendation letters and teaching excellence awards are earned. The remaining are letters and awards that hopefully help in pushing back notions of us being any less than anyone else. I don't think these were earned based on any "special talent". Just good old commitment and hard work. I believe anyone can achieve this if they are willing to put in the effort.

The point being made in this post - we are no less than anyone else - does not erase the need to stay on top of our games and be competitive. Anyone who doesn't do this falls behind.

My overall strategy would be simply this: (a) We work hard and stay competitive ourselves and (b) welcome people from all over the world to join us if they come in brotherhood and with right spirit. Anyone who doesn't come with this spirit needs to be refused entry, and if already here, sent back.











No comments:

Post a Comment