Thursday 25 November 2021

The Leftist Grip!

So here's an example of how hard a grip the left has on some minds:

I went for a Guthrie Govan concert at Hard Rock Cafe in New Delhi a few years ago. I'd become aware of this guitar player only recently and was quite excited about checking him out live.

There were a couple of different ticket prices available and I took the one priced at Rs. 500/-. Among other things it allowed me a speedier entry into the venue through a separate line that took me to a set of seats set aside for this ticket price. I happily took this advantage with zero guilt : I've studied for 12 years after 12th grade and then worked for another 14-15. So earning enough to be able to afford these indulgences isn't an issue at all as far as I'm concerned 😊.

But as the staff at HRC is guiding me in, a guy standing in the slower line scowls and lets out a "No man...!" howl protesting at what he probably feels is a "preferred treatment" of another guest over him.

Now the chap actually seemed like a nice student. No hints of rowdiness whatsoever.

The only thing that explains this behavior in my mind is that he has seen movies and read literature that has convinced him that everyone at every stage of life must get exactly the same from life. I know that this mindset has taken root in some minds. But it's a silly mindset.

I emphasize again: This is a silly mindset. We can, and must, argue for equal opportunities. We can, and must, argue for the economically struggling to get state support for education and healthcare.

But it's also true that each of us plays a role in how well we do in our lives. That has to be acknowledged and respected too 😊. And most certainly, the longer you've worked, the higher the probability that you've earned those Rs. 500/- 😊.

I keep saying: The left and the right have to find a balance point. Either extreme will not sort stuff out.

No comments:

Post a Comment