Monday 1 November 2021

Sweet-Talking God?

Just look at what our understanding of religion and spirituality has come to!

The whole day I'm insincere, I'll do anything for money and fame, I will cut corners at work, I will trip others and play all kinds of politics for my ambition, greed and jealousies, I will short-change my responsibilities at home, I will be dishonest in my relationships, I will carry junk and filth in my mind.

And in the evening, I will go to a temple, put a garland around a deity's neck, pour some oil over it, pull my ears, knock my head with my knuckles, ring a bell, break a coconut, put some money in the collection box.

If I'm richer, I may even pay a few pandas to sit and please God on my behalf!

What is this? What are we doing?

Come on! Get serious! Neither is God so stupid that he will even acknowledge these visits nor can your relationship with him be this meaningless and shallow!

Your whole life has to become spiritual. There are no shortcuts here.

Meditate, resolve to spend the whole day honestly, align your work or business with what is beneficial for society (not just what gives you most money), make your work an offering to the divine - that will immediately make you sincere, be honest in your relationships, fulfill your responsibilities at home.

If you like to go to temples, do so with some understanding. Choose temples that have a good peaceful atmosphere. Spend some quiet time there. Meditate. Whichever divine qualities you appreciate, manifest them in yourself. Come back home uplifted. Our minds have to grow mature. We cannot stay at the level of children's TV serials.

Or maybe you are not drawn to temples but to some saints. If so, be clear about why you are attracted to some saint. Saints that live divinely inspired lives are wonderful company to keep. They will uplift you. But those unnecessarily showing off and talking too much are best avoided.

Take whatever is positive from every religion and philosophy on Earth and reject whatever is negative from every religion and philosophy on Earth - including yours. Your own conscience, intelligence and common sense will guide you in this. This is very important to keep in mind. Extremists of every religion create trouble - for themselves and for others.

Read writings by spiritual giants such as Swami Vivekananda (whenever they discuss Yogic techniques, practice them only after consultation with and under the guidance of living Yoga experts you trust) and incorporate their teachings in your life.

Are you getting what I'm saying? Your whole life has to become spiritual. The purpose of religion and spirituality is to raise you to the level of the divine. That's the whole point of it!

You cannot go on living a third rate life and treating God as some sort of free bus ride to heaven. That's just plain nonsense. It doesn't work that way. You will have to bear the weight of your Karma. Be absolutely clear about this. No one escapes the fruits of one's Karma. No one.

No comments:

Post a Comment