Friday 15 October 2021

Shoes Of National Importance

There is Nike, there is Adidas, there is Reebok, there is BATA (not an Indian company by the way), there are, I am sure, more companies in other parts of the world that produce footwear that is superior to any brand sourcing from India.

I'm not talking about exploitation of labour and other such issues at any of these places. I've read news reports on those issues too and am as concerned as anyone else. And yes, I do take all this into account when deciding on the brand I buy.

I'm simply talking about quality of these brands being better than any Indian brand that at least I'm aware of.

Now how do we fix this? Read the below very very carefully:

(No, I'm not suggesting we do the below. I'm being sarcastic about such stuff starting to happen. If you find it difficult to believe, please do feel free to google.)

Apparently by offering Bachelor of Design and Bachelor of Technology courses in Footwear Technology!

Wait, it doesn't stop here.

In 2017 our parliament passed an act: The Footwear Design and Development Institute Act and listed this "Institute" as an Institute Of National Importance. The parliament!

Can it get any more ridiculous?

Burying my head in the pillow right now and punching my bed with muffled screams of No, No, No...

No comments:

Post a Comment