Wednesday 13 October 2021

Humility: The Basis Of Sincerity

The first and foremost condition to live an honest and sincere life is to have the humility to accept when you are wrong or not up to the mark in something and need to work at it and improve : maybe not in the open every time, but certainly within to yourself.

A lot of people associate a sense of embarrassment or shame with the above (this has happened to me too a couple of times!).

And that starts a vicious circle: you don't accept your mistake : you try to cover it up or put up a pretense : maybe you lie : worse, you cook up a justification within and continue with your weakness instead of improving yourself.

I can tell you from personal experience that humility actually makes life simpler. There have been times when I have made a mistake while teaching. And every single time, the minute I accepted it students understood and were cool about it. There have been times when I didn't know the answer to a question asked in class. Again, students have always been cool about it when I simply said : "Hmmm, I don't know the answer right now. Let me get to it in the next class." (Of course, such things cannot happen too often and one has to prepare well for class 😊.)

In music, there are so many things I'm not up to the mark on. And the only way I can actually become better is when I accept where I'm lacking and actually work at it. Else I'll just kid myself into thinking I'm all good and play limited stuff all my life. What's the point 😊?

Just a bit of humility and commitment to becoming better every day, and the journey starts becoming so much more fulfilling 😊.

(Note: The humility I'm talking about above has to go hand in hand with a constant effort to be the best one can be. Otherwise even humility can become pretentious.)

No comments:

Post a Comment