Friday 15 October 2021

A Strange Apology [Diary Recollection]

This is a diary recollection from an institute I've taught at. The decision to not name the institute is deliberate as I think the issue I try to highlight is more generic and fairly widespread in society today.


----
(Date Removed)

Just had a mighty strange experience...

Went to our canteen to pick up a cup of coffee. There's this small round revolving gate through which one has to pass to enter the canteen area. As I was going through it my foot hit the gate quite hard and I yelped "Aaahhh Ouch!". And I just stopped momentarily to see if I had any cut that I needed to attend to. (Thankfully, not.)

Right at that time there was a student coming in the opposite direction. What would be a normal reaction to expect?

"Oh, Sir, are you alright?". Correct?

Nope. She just stood there with a scoffing expression and body language that seemed like an exercise of patience on her part!

I suppose I picked up the vibe and said "Sorry". Just imagine that! I was feeling pain and came to the point of feeling the need to say sorry for sort of stopping someone's walk for a few seconds!

Burst into laughter when I got back to my office!

This is ridiculous!

I interact with many people every day and often get the impression that our value system has gone totally upside down! This was just one example that made the point a bit emphatically.

I hope people can see that this is unsustainable if we want to maintain a civilized society. I mean what is this going to extrapolate to if we don't correct course now?

Sometimes I wonder, don't parents teach anything at home any more?

----

No comments:

Post a Comment